Monday, September 16, 2019

Pondering Proverbs (1)



“A wise son makes a glad father, but a foolish son is a sorrow to his mother.” (Proverbs 10:1, ESV.)

In one sense there is only one Wise Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. However, in another sense, those who live in Him, those who are His brothers and sisters, having the same Father (Hebrews 2:10 – 13), partake of Him and His wisdom (1 Corinthians 1:30-31; Colossians 2:1 – 3) and are therefore called to be wise sons and daughters. In a third sense, collectively in Christ, the Body of Christ is that Wise Son – for as is the Head so is the Body (as Augustine would say).

So I first think of Jesus Christ; I then ponder my own life and whether Christ is indeed my wisdom; and I further ponder us all together in Christ, the many-membered Son – drawn into the fellowship of the Trinity in our Lord Jesus Christ.

And the “foolish son” and the mother? Might the mother be the Church? It may or may not be – but certainly foolish children are a sorrow to the Church. There is much foolishness in the professing church, there is much wickedness and evil.

Well, at any rate, it is my prayer that my Father might find joy in me as I live in wisdom; not my own wisdom, but in the only source of true Wisdom, the Wisdom of Proverbs Chapter 8, begotten of the Father, True God of True God – Jesus Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Note that they are “hidden” – we will not know them unless we know Christ, learn Christ, obey Christ, speak Christ, abide in Christ as Christ abides in us.

I pray that our Father may find delight in all of us…in Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment