Thursday, September 12, 2019

Charity - Freezing or Burning?

"The freezing of charity is the silence of the heart; the burning of charity is the cry of the heart." St. Augustine in his sermon on Psalm 38.

In this sermon Augustine quotes Jesus in Matthew 24, "Because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." 

What is my charity like? Is is freezing, chilling not only my own heart but the hearts of others? Or is it burning with desire to serve and bless others? Is my charity warming the lives of others - giving them hope and respite and shelter and safety in a world descending into the frigidity of uncaring selfishness in which "me, and my and mine" is the arbiter of life?

I am reminded of James 4:17, "Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin."

Perhaps we have forgotten Jesus' words in Matthew 25:31 - 46, when He says to those on His left, "I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, naked and you didn't clothe me, sick and in prison and you didn't visit me." Have we forgotten that these people were not judged for what they did - but rather for what they didn't do? Their hearts were frozen.

What about the heart of our nation?

The heart of our professing-church?

My heart?

Your heart?






No comments:

Post a Comment