Friday, June 28, 2019

Never Worn Anything So Fine

Below is an excerpt of an email that I sent to my Tuesday-morning men's group. 

Way back in the days of Middle Earth I spent some time in San Francisco - this was when Haight - Ashbury was in full swing, the Black Panthers, and the Jesus People. I recall seeing the Black Panthers marching in formation outside the Oakland County courthouse - it was quite the sight.  

Anyway, my exposure to the Jesus People opened my eyes to what church could look like in that everyone was pretty much "all in" for Jesus - there wasn't any just putting your toe in the water to see how you feel, you were either committed to Christ and were witnessing to others or you weren't. (In this respect Harry and I share similar histories - it was amazing how much we had in common in terms of our early lives in Christ - Elaine and Vickie had to listen to us tell our stories more than once). 

At one point I lived and worked at a ministry called the Anchor Rescue Mission. It was one of those places where meals were served and a preaching service was held. It was operated by a couple of African - American sisters in the Lord and supported by other African - American Christians, pastors, and churches. I lived with another brother in Christ, David Hoyt, on the second flood of the mission (we were the only ones who actually lived at the mission). David was a leader in the Jesus People Movement in San Francisco (he now resides in New Mexico). 

Anyway, to get to my story about Esther....

One day I went with an older couple (husband and wife) over to Oakland to visit the wife's mother. We had a grand visit; I even recall we went to the laundromat to help grandma (she was grandma to me) do her laundry. 

Well, one thing led to another during the visit and soon we realized that it had gotten late, really late...too late to head back to San Francisco via public transportation. So we decided we'd better spend the night. But what to sleep in? 

Do you recall seeing those old white sleeping gowns? The kind Scrooge used? Kind of like a baptismal robe? I know Billy DeWorken is old enough to have actually used these, but the rest of us only know about them through movies and TV. 

Anyway, grandma had a few of these...so that's what we each slept in. 

The next morning as we sat around grandma's kitchen table...I can't tell you what we had for breakfast, but I'll tell you what I do remember...we opened our Bibles to the book of Esther and went around the table and read the entire book - there we were in our night gowns...grandma, the husband and wife (whose names I've sadly forgotten) and this young white kid who the couple had taken into their hearts and who granny looked at as just another child of God - sitting around a table reading the book of Esther.

And how we enjoyed that book! How we laughed and carried on as we read that marvelous story. 

And do you know what? God was there. I mean He was right there! He may have been in one of those old nightgowns as far as I know...and yes, I imagine there were angels there too - and I imagine the angels were laughing right along with us. 

Now when you are as old as we are you come to realize something...money can't buy that. Position and power can't make that happen. Only God can do that. Only God can show us the things and people who really matter. Only God can provide enough white nightgowns for a sleepover. Only God can cause the book of Esther to evoke wonder and awe and laughter around a kitchen table in a poor section of Oakland, CA. 

Thanks to my property management career I've had occasion to dine in some pretty fancy places, and there have been times when Vickie and I have splurged on a special celebration...but I've never been anyplace that can match that kitchen table in Oakland, CA over 50 years ago...no sir...and I have never worn a finer piece of clothing than that white nightgown...no sir...I've never worn anything so fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment