Monday, June 10, 2019

Behold My Servant (3)




Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations. He will not cry aloud or lift up his voice, or make it heard in the street; a bruised reed he will not break, and a faintly burning wick he will not quench; he will faithfully bring forth justice. He will not grow faint or be discouraged till he has established justice in the earth; and the coastlands wait for his law.

Thus says God, the Lord, who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and what comes from it, who gives breath to the people on it and spirit to those who walk in it:

“I am the Lord; I have called you in righteousness; I will take you by the hand and keep you; I will give you as a covenant for the people, a light for the nations, to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness.

I am the Lord; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols. Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them.” (Isaiah 42:1 – 9).

I have put my Spirit upon him…” Even as the Father placed His Spirit on our Lord Jesus at Jesus’ baptism, so the Father and Son placed the Holy Spirit upon and within the corporate Son, the Church, the Body of Christ, at Pentecost. The Holy Spirit which had been “with” the disciples, came to live “within” the disciples (John 14:16 – 17; 7:37 – 39).

We are called, in our Lord Jesus, to life in the Holy Spirit. This life is no more a life of “anything goes” than was the life of Jesus Christ on earth. Jesus affirmed again and again that, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner” (John 5:19).

Compare the following:

“For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself is doing; and the Father will show Him greater works than these, so that you will marvel” (John 5:20).

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father” (John 14:12).

“But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you” (John 14:25).

“But when He, the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you” (John 16:13 – 15).

Do we see that the things that Jesus Christ speaks of Himself (John Chapter 5), He also speaks of us (John chapters 14 and 16)? Can we not “see” that we are called into the koinonia, the fellowship, the communion, of the Trinity?

Can we see that our Father has called us in His Beloved Servant? Are we living as Christ on this earth? Are we loving as Christ in this generation? Are we sharing in, and filling up, the sufferings of Jesus Christ (Philippians 3:10, Colossians 1:24, Romans 8:12 – 18)?

Or, do we find ourselves shackled in religious servitude? Chained like galley slaves to oars in our pews? Unable to express the fulness of Jesus Christ to Him and to one another? Where is Romans Chapter 12? Tell me where I can find 1 Corinthians chapters 12 – 14! Where is Ephesians 4:11 – 16?

What can Paul possibly mean when he writes, “I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God” (1 Corinthians 2:3 – 5)?

Our Father has called us as His Servant. Our generation desperately needs the light of the Son; isn’t it time to focus on our calling in our Lord Jesus Christ? Isn’t it time to leave Egypt once and for all? Isn’t it time to lead others out of bondage and into our Lord Jesus Christ?



No comments:

Post a Comment