Tuesday, September 1, 2026

A Holy Charge (9)

 

 

“We urge you brethren, admonish the undisciplined, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone” (1 Thess. 5:14).

 

What does it mean to be “undisciplined”? In his second letter to the Thessalonians Paul writes:

 

“Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from every brother who leads an undisciplined life and not according to the tradition which you received from us.

 

“For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example, because we did not act in an undisciplined manner among you, nor did we eat anyone’s bread without paying for it, but with labor and hardship we kept working night and day so that we would not be a burden to any of you; not because we do not have the right to this, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you, so that you would follow our example.

 

“For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat either. For we hear that some among you are leading an undisciplined life, doing no work at all, but acting like busybodies” (2 Thess. 3:6 – 11; see also 1 Thess. 1:3 – 12).

 

It seems, in the context of Paul’s letters to the Thessalonians, that being undisciplined has to do with not working and not contributing to the faith community. In Ephesians 4:28 Paul also writes, “He who steals must steal no longer; but rather he must labor, performing with his own hands what is good, so that he will have something to share with the one who has need.”

 

Yet, there is more I think, for if we look at the example that Paul and his friends provided the Thessalonians, we see that it is more than about simply working, as important as that is; it is primarily about giving themselves for others, about laying their lives down for others, about not only not being a burden, but also about being a blessing.

 

As Paul frames it with the Ephesians, those who once took from others, are now to work so that they can give to others. It is more than about supporting oneself, it is about giving to others. We are to work so that we can give. The grace of Christ transforms us from takers to givers.

 

This can be a hard message in our narcissistic culture, so permeated is the professing church with the world system. Do we wake up wondering, “How can I be a blessing today?” Do we wake up praying, “Lord Jesus, help me to be a blessing to others please. Help me to share you. Help me to touch others with your Presence. Help me to give to others”?

 

When we gather as God’s People, do we seek to bless those around us? Do we even care how our brothers and sisters are doing in this world of challenges, sorrows, anxieties, and needs? When we ask our brothers and sisters how they are, do we really and truly want an answer?

 

The love and grace of Jesus, and obedience to His Word, form us into His image, and that image manifests itself in a certain discipline of life, it is a laying down our lives for one another, a submitting of ourselves to one another since we are members of one another in Christ (John 15:12 – 13; Eph. 5:21; Rom. 12:5).

 

How critical is this? It is critical enough that Paul writes that the Thessalonians are to “keep away from every brother who leads an undisciplined life” (2 Thess. 3:6; see also 3:14 - 15).

 

What might this look like in our own lives, in our own churches and gatherings? I’m not really sure.

 

I have seen authoritarianism and I know that isn’t the answer, as much as it appeals to some people. I have seen legalism, and I know that isn’t the answer. I have seen churches without any accountability, and I know that isn’t the answer.

 

It seems to me that when we have deep-rooted relationships in Christ that Biblical accountability is embedded in those relationships. To be sure, relationships can break down; to be sure accountability can break down; lack of accountability can shatter relationships, and broken relationships can destroy accountability.

 

In our society if we don’t like one local church, we can simply start attending another church; or we can foster a church split.

 

If we aren’t members of something bigger than ourselves, in this case the Body of Christ, then our selfishness will always be the center of gravity. Selfishness always leads to an undisciplined life in one way or another.

 

Without “life together,” to use a term Bonhoeffer appreciated, it is hard to see how we can live life in Christ, in the Holy Spirit, and in the Word of God with our Father’s blessing. Without life together it is hard to see how we can live disciplined lives, since disciplined lives are focused on others and not on ourselves. If there are no “others” then we are members of nothing, attached to nothing.

 

The “communion of saints” is more precious to me all the time. I could not have lived this long in Christ, and I would certainly not be writing these words, were it not for my koinonia with brothers and sisters. I value those times when others have loved me enough to speak a word of correction and challenge; and I regret those times when I dearly needed such a word but no one apparently cared enough about me to talk to me. Believe me, I know I can be difficult to approach, I know I can be strong-willed…but all the more reason that I need others to tell me the truth, or at least the truth as they see it in a given moment. We can trust our dear Lord Jesus to sort things out…if we will only love one another, truly love one another.

 

Paul’s charge to “admonish the undisciplined” (1 Thess. 5:14) is addressed to the entire fellowship, to all of the people as well as the servant-leaders. A healthy fellowship is a self-correcting fellowship, or at least has the potential to be. For certain, as we see from the New Testament letters, including Revelation, there are many times special admonition and correction must be given, there are times when there is willful violation of the grace and love of Christ and His Word, there are times when false teaching and practices are propagated in the church and must be publicly dealt with in the Name of Jesus Christ.

 

Can we do this today? It’s a challenge for sure, for a great many reasons. I don’t know that it is fruitful to explore the reasons…so I won’t at this time. I imagine that each context has its own challenges.

 

However, I will say this; we all need relationships in Christ that mean so much to us, that we value so highly, that we will fight for them, that we will endure for them, that we will persevere in them – through conflict, through speaking the truth in love, and in which we make tough Biblical decisions with redemption as the goal. Are my relationships with my brothers and sisters more important to me than getting my own way? Than my own willfulness? Than my personal sense of being right? Are my relationships with others more important to me than me being the center of gravity and attention?

 

Do I love others enough to speak to them when I sense they need it, and to listen to them when they sense I need it?

 

Such relationships can be elusive, and we need not look for quantity, but we sure need quality. When we find them, we need to treasure them, guard them, and treat them as holy ground, as sacred trusts.

 

I need not love everything my friends say to me, but I sure do need to love my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment