Thursday, July 29, 2021

Sincere, Blameless, Infants Concerning Evil

 


Let’s take another look at Philippians 1:9 – 11:

 

“And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and discernment, so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ; having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.”

 

What do you think of the idea of being “sincere and blameless until the day of Christ”?

 

As I ponder these words, I think of Paul’s words in 1 Corinthians 14:20, “Brethren, do not be children in your thinking; yet in evil be infants, but in your thinking be mature.”

 

We live in a particularly voyeuristic age. I suppose we might say that we live in an age of voyeurism. Our airwaves are filled with this evil, as are books and conversations. Sadly, many in the professing church have lost sensitivity to evil, including the evil of voyeurism. It seems we can never have enough sordid details of pain, suffering, crime, and sin.

 

I have a dear friend to whom I have said about a “Christian” book, more than once, “The descriptions of temptation and sin in this book are unhealthy; they do not point people away from sin to Christ but rather entrench images of sin in hearts and minds.”

 

We are to be unapologetic infants regarding evil. We need not be ashamed that we don’t know the depths of sin and evil, that we don’t know the latest and greatest sins and evils in which humanity is engaged. Of course we ought to be aware of suffering, of oppression, of the need for deliverance from evil into the grace and love of Jesus Christ, but this is not the same as what amounts to exploring and absorbing sin and evil with unhealthy interest and curiosity.

 

We are called to be “sincere and blameless.” And so our love is to abound more and more with true knowledge and judgment – so that we may be blameless, so that we may be sincere, from now until that great Day when we bow before our Lord Jesus Christ.

 

Discerning love, love that abides in true and real knowledge, produces lives “filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ (John 15:1ff), to the glory and praise of God.”  (See also Ephesians 3:14 – 19).

 

This takes us back to approving “the things that are excellent.” Our focus is to be on Jesus Christ in Whom is all excellence and beauty and true knowledge and discernment. Our passion is to be Jesus Christ. Our goal is to know Him in His fulness, to live in koinonia with Him and with one another. We learn to guard against evil soiling our lives and our relationship with Jesus Christ and others. We learn to flee the approach of evil and voyeurism – this includes turning the television off, this includes not continuing to watch a movie or read a book that reaches into our hearts and minds with tenacles of evil and shame…desiring to pull us into the abyss of darkness.

 

I imagine that I return more than half of the books I borrow from our public library and download on Kindle because of their content – I often borrow more than I think I’ll read because of this experience; I am pleased to keep one or two books out of every five books. Why? Because I want to be a child, and infant, concerning evil.

 

To be sure I’ve encountered evil, both within myself and in society. To be equally sure, I don’t need to know anymore evil than I already know. In fact, by God’s grace I’ve forgotten some of the evil I once knew – though the accuser of the brethren often attempts to drag me back into darkness – but Jesus Christ has eternal hold of me!

 

Are we encouraging one another to be “children concerning evil” and to be “sincere and blameless until the day of Christ”?

 

Dear, dear friends, let us not be ashamed that we don’t know the intricacies of the evil of this world, let us rather ask Christ to use us to bring others into the holy and pure light and life of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment