Sunday, May 30, 2021

Just A Note

A week or so ago I sent a quote from Vos out, also posting it on Mind on Fire - no commentary, just the quote.  A friend quickly wrote back that he didn't "get it." 

I sent him a reply encouraging him to ponder Vos's words, not just read them and move on; after all, Vos is not fast food.

This morning I wrote my friend a note along with the most recent post on Heavenly Mindedness. That note is below, maybe there is something here for you.


Bob


Good morning ______,


Below is a follow up to the quotation I sent a week or so ago. 

I thought I'd send it to you so that perhaps you might understand just a bit where Vos is coming from, and where I am coming from. 

Ever since I was a teenager I have been aware of the great gap between the Bible, and the Church in the Bible, and the way we practice and teach the Gospel - especially in the West. My desire has always been to close that gap, not to make excuses for it. 

Of course, if we don't really know the Bible as God's Word, and if the Scriptures aren't our home where we commune with Christ and His People, then this is like a foreign language. 

There is something fundamentally amiss when folks can be in church for decades and not know the Scriptures the way they know their own homes. There is something amiss when we aren't sharing the Gospel as a natural way of life. There is something wrong when we aren't "all in" for Jesus Christ (Mark 8:34ff). 

And yet, rather than face these discrepancies head-on, we make excuses for them, again and again and again. 

Since you have never struck me as a man who accepts or gives excuses, maybe you might give some more thought to what Vos is saying, and what Tozer is saying.

I love you and am thankful for you!

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment