Friday, November 22, 2019

Another Mystery

You may or may not have a context for this, and I do hope I follow this up with some extended written thoughts. This is a note I sent to one of my brothers in our Tuesday-morning group:

I said something that might have been misconstrued, and I think I'll try to work it out in a written piece that explores it...but for the short-term:

My comment about Christ and Isaiah was not to mean that Christ and Isaiah were/are the same "persona" - (though Isaiah is a member of the Body of Christ - but I'll leave that alone for now, human words are pretty inadequate for some of this!) - but rather to approach the idea that the "Word" that Isaiah saw and transmitted was the Word of John 1:1. That ever-present Word in His People - mystery though it is.

So then, while I struggle with the mystery of "fully God and fully man", and while I want to give due recognition to this mystery - the idea that Jesus Christ simply "studied" the Scriptures and was relying solely on memory when He "quoted" them - falls a bit short for me. I cannot sort it out, anymore than I can sort out "though He were a son, yet he learned obedience by the things which He suffered and being made complete..." Hebrews 5:8 - 9. 

Anymore than I can sort out Hebrews 2:11 - 13 - we have a transcendent brotherhood in and with Jesus Christ (Romans 8:29) within His Atonement.

So Christ was the Word which Isaiah saw, heard, and spoke - if in fact Christ was the glory that Isaiah saw (Isaiah 6, John 12:38 - 41), which of course He was.

Also, (and I just thought of this), if the New Covenant is having the Word of our God written on our hearts and in our minds, and if Jesus Christ is the minister of the New Covenant - shouldn't we anticipate that He is the embodiment of the very Covenant He mediates?

Ah - the joy of Christ, the joy of His Word, the joy of a band of brothers!

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment