Friday, May 17, 2013

Psalm 26



Vindicate me, O Yahweh, for I have walked in my integrity, and I have trusted in Yahweh without wavering…But as for me, I shall walk in my integrity (26:1 & 11a).

If we have any integrity, any true integrity, its source is our Lord Jesus Christ. We are called to live with integrity and we ought to be able to confess that we do so – this is a theme throughout the Scriptures, we are to live as sons and daughters of the light. And yet we must never lose sight of the source of all true integrity – Jesus Christ. The instant I begin to think that I am the source of my integrity, pride and arrogance and self-sufficiency will destroy my integrity as swarming termites will eat a house of wood. As with termites, while I may not at first see my rottenness it will eventually manifest itself by the collapse of integrity.

Examine me, O Yahweh, and try me; test my mind (the inner person) and my heart, (26:2).

Integrity that is examined and tried is integrity that is maintained. Because of our propensity to fall back into the gravitational pull of earth we must be ever vigilant in fixing our eyes on the eternal and ever seek the examination of the Holy Spirit in the light of the Word of God. God’s Word is living and active and pierces deep into our inner beings (Hebrews 4:12-13), it judges our thoughts and our intentions, it lays our motives bear before our Creator – it judges our integrity and it corrects our attitudes and actions. True integrity checks occur as the Holy Spirit searches our hearts and minds in the light of God’s Word. Daily integrity checks ensure ongoing integrity.

I am reminded of the concert pianist who said, “If I don’t practice for a day I know it, I can tell when I play before others. If I don’t practice for two days other concert pianists know it. If I don’t practice for three days the audience knows it.” Daily time before God in His Word is integral for integrity.

A life of integrity forms our souls in the image of God, obedience to God’s Word transforms us from the earthly to the heavenly (Romans 12:1-2; 2 Corinthians 3:17-18; James 1:21; 1Peter 1:22-25). Such a life is only possible when it is submitted to the hands of the Potter and when it recognizes Jesus Christ as its one and only source (John 15:1ff; 2Corinthians 5:17ff; Galatians 2:20).

Have you had a Divine integrity check today?

No comments:

Post a Comment