Saturday, January 14, 2023

I Fell On My Face

 


“As the appearance of the rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the appearance of the surrounding radiance. Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of Yahweh. And when I saw it, I fell on my face and heard a voice speaking.” (Ez. 1:28).

 

I’m reading Ezekiel this month. I typically begin January with Isaiah in the Prophets, but this year I am in Ezekiel. Ezekiel had a profound influence on my early Christian life, in particularly Ezekiel 33:1 – 9; I suppose you might call Ezekiel 33:1 – 9 one of my prime navigational stars, both 57 years ago and today – it is a star I’ve never lost sight of – indeed, it is a star that has guided my obedience to Christ and His Word.

 

However, let me hasten to say that I have not always understood how to obey Ezekiel 33:1 – 9, and that more than once I have been foolish and simplistic in my understanding of what obedience ought to look like. Sometimes I have been stupid, sometimes irresponsible. Yet, there is a power in Yahweh’s words to Ezekiel in Chapter 33, a compelling reality that reminds me of Paul in 2 Corinthians 5:6 – 11, in which we read that, “…we must all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.” Mind you, Paul is writing to Christians.

 

What have I lacked in my encounter with Ezekiel 33? What has been missing? What may have protected me from stupidity?

 

As I was reading Ezekiel Chapter 1 earlier this month I was arrested by Ezekiel’s response to the glory of Yahweh, “…I fell on my face…” While this is followed by Yahweh commanding the prophet to stand on his feet (2:1), Ezekiel first fell on his face.

 

Note the sequence in verses 1:28 – 2:2; Ezekiel falls on his face in response to the glory of God, he hears a voice commanding him to stand on his feet, the enabling Spirit enters him and makes him stand, and then Yahweh speaks His commissioning Word to the prophet.

 

I think that when we “see” the glory of God in Christ that, as we fall on our face, our own strength departs from us and that only the Holy Spirit can raise us up so that we can begin to hear the Voice of God in our lives.

 

Perhaps if I had fallen on my face at the beginning of this journey I would not have taken so many tangents? Perhaps I would not have made so many poor decisions?

 

Perhaps if I had remained on my face until the enabling Spirit caused me to stand, my misunderstandings of Ezekiel 33 would have been mitigated? Perhaps I would have realized that I could not fulfill that mandate in my own strength or understanding? Zeal is no substitute for obedience, wisdom, and humility.

 

Of course, there are probably no answers to these questions, but they can be helpful since I still have to live today, and today is a good time to renew what it means to fall on my face and wait for the Holy Spirit to raise me up.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment