Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Drawn Into The I AM - Augustine

 

I’ve been pondering the following section from Augustine’s Confessions for a few days. The image of us taken into the Trinity is striking. It reminds me of St. Athanasius saying, regarding the Incarnation, “He became as we are, that we might become as He is.”

 

Are we focused on the wonderful eternal life and koinonia that Jesus Christ has purchased for us and called us into? Do we realize the Niagara of His love for us? (Ephesians 3:14 – 21).

 

Excerpts from St. Augustine’s Confessions, 7.10.16 (NPNF). Lightly edited with updated English.

 

“…He who knows the Truth knows that Light; and he that knows it knows eternity. Love knows it. O Eternal Truth, and True Love, and loved Eternity! You are my God; to You do I sigh both night and day. When I first knew You, You lifted me up, that I might see, and yet it was not I [in and of myself] that did see. You beat back the infirmity [weakness] of my sight, pouring forth upon me most strongly Your beams of light; and I found myself to be far off from You…

 

“[and then]…I heard this voice of Yours from on high:

 

“’I am the food of strong men; grow, and you shall feed upon me; nor shall you convert me, like the food of your flesh, into thee, but you shall be converted into me.’”

 

“And You cried to me from far away, ‘Yes, truly I AM THAT I AM.’”

 

“And I heard this, as things are heard in the heart, nor was there room for doubt…”

No comments:

Post a Comment