Saturday, March 21, 2020

His Face



“…they will see His face…” (Revelation 22:4)

My morning prayer includes, “Father, Lord Jesus, teach me to seek your face.” I have been praying this for some time, ever since being gripped by David’s words in Psalm 27:

“When You said, ‘Seek My face,’ my heart said to You, ‘Your face, O Yahweh, I shall seek.’ (Psalm 27:8)

Do we not seek the face of those we love? Do we not want to be in their presence? Do we not want to look into their eyes? To hear a loved one’s voice is good and refreshing, but to see a loved one’s face is beautiful. Video conferencing is no substitute – pixels are still pixels – they may be better than simply a voice carried over miles, oceans, and continents, but they are still pixels. Pixels are not the same as personal presence.

I am learning, by God’s grace, to seek His face. I do not pretend to know how to seek His face. Yes, there is His Word, and prayer, and meditation in His Word, and obedience and conformity to His Word, and serving others…but I remain the village idiot. I miss so much of Him, I fail to see Him when He is all around me; Balaam’s ass is promoted to the next grade while I repeat the lessons over and over and over.

I must ask my Father and Lord Jesus to teach me to seek their face, otherwise I am lost, otherwise today is like yesterday and yesterday is like the day before yesterday. What a tragedy to live life just barely within the city limits of the New Jerusalem, how sad to never leave kindergarten – playing with religious toys, learning the names of the bright and shiny things that are often Jesus junk.

Seeing His face is transformative, for when He appears we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is (1 John 3:1 – 3). Therefore, as I see Him today in His appearing, I am transformed into His image and He unveils His beautiful face just a bit more for me to see.

“…they will see His face, and His name will be on their foreheads” (Rev. 22:4).

Is the Nature of the Trinity being written in my heart and mind? Are my thoughts being lifted up into the New Jerusalem and am I living as a son of the living God? (Romans 12:1 – 2; 2 Corinthians 3:17 – 18; Philippians 3:20; Colossians 3:1 – 4; Hebrews 11:8 – 16).

Or am I as distracted as a two-year old baby? Fliting from one “good” thing to another, making excuses for not sitting at the feet of Jesus?

Christ yearns for us to know Him. He invites us into the fellowship of the Trinity (John 17).

Christ calls to us, “Seek My face.”

Will you pray with me today, “O Lord, teach me to seek Your face”?



No comments:

Post a Comment