Friday, August 30, 2019

Strangers and Pilgrims

Below is a note I sent to some pastors concerning a recent article regarding a political party that was sent to me and the other pastors in the group. The article, in essence, indicates that humanism is being embraced by the party, while I didn't address humanism in my response, I think the fact is that humanism reigns in all political parties in the U.S. 




I think there is a sense in which this is good news. After all, as Christ, as His Body, while we are in the world we are not of the world (John 17); and we are citizens of heaven (Phil. 3:20) - so perhaps this will help define us.

Plus, I think I would rather have folks be honest about where they are coming from than try to court us and seduce us and manipulate us....as is often the case.

Of course I desire these folks to come to know our Lord Jesus Christ, but I also want our own professing-Christians folks to have a greater sense of identity and definition in Christ...a danger, as I see it, in this is that our folks, rather than being driven deeper into Christ, will be uncritically driven deeper into opposing political parties. 

Is there not a sense, a deep Biblical sense, in which we are strangers and aliens, looking for a city whose Builder and Maker is God? Are we not looking at those things which are unseen as opposed to the things that are seen? What the natural eye sees can divert our attention. I think the world is the world is the world and there is a sense in which the world that would embrace us (for its own purposes) is perhaps more dangerous than the world that would outright reject us for we are more likely to compromise the Gospel and truth and virtue with the former. 

People were sleeping when Hurricane Camille hit VA.

"God will send strong delusion because they received not the love of the truth" (2 Thess. 2). What other explanation is there for what we see around us? "God gave them up" (Romans 1). What other explanation? 

The thing that does truly amaze me is the exponential speed in which all of this is occurring. In terms of my own life in Christ, as well as in my marriage, my life is becoming ever more simpler...for I am being driven into Christ, seeking Him, desiring to see His face, to live in His Presence...

In terms of ministry and witnessing to others...again...things are simpler for me...Jesus first, Jesus last, Jesus always. If I'm in a tsunami I want to pull as many people as I can, by God's grace, into our Place of Safety. I want my congregation to see themselves, as God's People, as His Ark with the door still open.

Love in our Good Shepherd,

Bob 

No comments:

Post a Comment