Friday, May 31, 2019

Winsome?

I am all for winsomely witnessing, but I don't want to use the concept as a cloak for cowardice. That is hardly what I see in Paul's instruction to Timothy to be "instant in season and out of season, reprove, rebuke, exhort, with all patience and instruction." And then Paul's next words, "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine..." (2 Timothy 4:2 - 3). 

There's a pretty thought, people not enduring sound doctrine. 

There is little clamor for sound doctrine today, but there is much clamor for religious entertainment. Maybe the professing-church has surpassed Hollywood?

It just struck me that I may have to change my term "the professing-church", which I use to distinguish from the True Church. Why? Because the broader church doesn't profess much of anything anymore - we are a people without a creed, a people without a confession. Why we don't even confess Jesus. We confess politics, we confess health and wealth, we confess the Baskin - Robbins religious flavor of the month, we confess nationalism, we confess our sports teams, we confess slavery to sin when it is useful to excuse our disobedience. 

Back to winsomely witnessing, I wonder if I can find some winsome witness in the prophets?

No comments:

Post a Comment