Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Ponderings on 1 Corinthians Chapters 1 – 4: (8)



“But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, so that, just as it is written, “Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord.”” (1 Corinthians 1:30 – 31).

I imagine I’ve quoted the above verses almost as frequently as any other passage throughout my life. Galatians 2:20 may have the first position, and no doubt Matthew 20:26 – 28 is also a contender for first place; with John 15:1 – 5 in the mix. As I write this I am reminded how the Word of God is an anchor in my soul, my bearing walls consist of God’s Word, my foundation consists of Genesis through Revelation with Jesus Christ being the Cornerstone. Christ is ever appearing to me in and through His Word; Christ is ever speaking. I suppose one could say that God’s Word is my primary language, and in His Word I find my thoughts ordered and arranged and my perspective framed. Everyday God calls me to submit to His Word, to love His Word, to respond in obedience to His Word – and by His grace I hope that everyday my life, my soul, is further transformed into the image of Jesus Christ by God’s Word.

Leading up to these verses Paul has made a number of points, among which are:

·         God has called and sanctified the Corinthians, they are saints (v. 2).

·         God will complete His work in them (v. 8).

·         The above points are confirmed in v. 9.

·         Their division is not good, Christ is not divided.

·         The difference between the Cross and the wisdom of the world.

The diamond of 1 Corinthians Chapter 1 has many complementary facets to it, all with Jesus Christ at the center, all reflecting and refracting Him. Of course, we need to remind ourselves that the verse and chapter divisions were not in the original documents, and in doing so we see that Chapter 1 flows into Chapter 2, Chapter 2 into Chapter 3, and Chapter 3 into Chapter 4. Our short-term 21st century attention spans are a major hurdle to “seeing” God’s Word.

It is by God’s “doing” that we are in Christ Jesus (v. 30). (Compare verse 30 with Romans 8:28 – 30). It is not by our wisdom, it is not because we follow a certain teacher, it is not because we are cleaver or are exceptional orators, it is not because we have conjured up a certain experience – it is simply God’s doing – we were dead (Ephesians 2:1 – 10) and God made us alive in Jesus Christ. Like Lazarus (John 11:39) we all had the stench of death in us and surrounding us and yet Jesus Christ called us out of the grave. Is it possible we have forgotten just how bad we smelled? Perhaps if we recalled just how nasty we were we would be less inclined to glory in ourselves and boast in anything or anyone other than Jesus Christ.

I was first introduced to verses 30 and 31 in 1966 by my friend George Will and, through George, the writings of Dutch Reformed pastor Andrew Murray. I had no doubt read 1 Corinthians prior to meeting George and encountering Murray’s writings, for I devoured the Bible in those first months of my life in Christ; but Christ being all in all so defined Murray’s ministry and George’s life that God used them to place this center of gravity in me that has grown and deepened to this day…and I trust will continue to that Day (1 Corinthians 1:8; 2 Timothy 1:12). Oh yes, there have been times in which I departed from the holiness of Jesus Christ in dark, sinful, and dangerous ways, but the Word of God and centrality of Jesus Christ would not let me go – Christ’s grace and mercy was greater than my rebellion and sin. Would I not be the fool of all fools to glory and boast in anything or anyone other than my Lord Jesus Christ?

The last time I spoke with George, in either 2017 or 2016, he was still quoting 1 Corinthians Chapter 1, speaking of himself as “nothing” and of Christ as “everything”. George rejoiced in being made “nothing” so that Christ might be everything.

What about me? What about you?

I’ll continue this reflection on verses 30 and 31…





No comments:

Post a Comment