Monday, January 28, 2013

Psalm 16



Yahweh is the portion of my inheritance and my cup…(Psalm 16:5a).

Do we desire things or do we desire God? Paul’s passion was “that I may know Him”; is that our passion? As a young Christian I heard the words of Psalm 73:25 – 26: “Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” Is that my testimony? Would others say this of me? Is there evidence to convict me of Psalm 16:5 and Psalm 73:25 – 26?

When we view all things in the light of eternity we see how transient life is and how great and eternal God is; we see that this age is passing away but that God abides forever and that those in whom He abides also abide forever. 

Do we hear the words of John the Baptist, “He must increase but I must decrease”? Do I seek more of Jesus today than I sought yesterday? I have a friend who often says, “I want to love Jesus more today than I did yesterday”, is that my desire?

Jesus teaches us that to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength is the first and great commandment – is this our daily prayer, that we would love Him with all that we are and with all that we have? Do people know that we are in love with Jesus Christ?

May I gently say something? When I pastored how I longed for my people to talk about Jesus; not to talk about the latest and greatest teaching, not to talk about politics, not to talk about the economy, not to talk about the most popular book or series of retreats or how great our music may have been at times, and not to talk about a religious personality – how I longed for the center of their conversation to be Jesus Christ. How I longed for their portion in this life to be Jesus. This remains my longing for my brothers and sisters today – for Jesus Christ to be our all in all. I confess that it is not always so with me, but I do know that unless it is so that nothing else can be seen in its true light.

Oh Lord Jesus, I don’t know what today may bring; but I ask that you will have mercy on me and deliver me from my self-centeredness; from my stubborn insistence to view all things with me as the center; that you will deliver me from me and from this evil age that is opposed to You – deliver me unto Yourself and teach me to know You as my everlasting and secure inheritance, teach me to know You as my All in All.


No comments:

Post a Comment