Monday, March 14, 2011

C.S. Lewis and The Mere Christian – II


Lewis uses an abbreviated quote (see previous post for context) from St. Vincent of Lerins, ‘Let us hold on to that which has been believed everywhere, always, by everyone.’

            Lewis follows this with: The point of view from which this agreement seems less important than their divisions, or than the gulf which separates both from any non-miraculous version of Christianity, is to me unintelligible. Lewis then references Richard Baxter who wrote:

You know not of what Party I am of, nor what to call me; I am sorrier for you in this than for my self; if you know not, I will tell you, I am a CHRISTIAN, a MERE CHRISTIAN, of no other Religion; and the Church that I am of is the Christian Church, and hath been visible where ever the Christian Religion and Church hath been visible.”


            I have seen division in the church and I have seen unity; I much prefer unity. I have seen Christians focus on their differences and I have seen Christians celebrate their MERE CHRISTIANITY; I much prefer the celebration of MERE CHRISTIANITY. Christ (John 17) prays that we will be one as the Trinity is one; Paul exhorts us (Ephesians 4) to guard the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace; and in 1 Corinthians Paul chides God’s people for their sectarian mindset and actions – they are living as mere men rather than as Mere Christians.


            Christians who are secure in Christ and knowledgeable of their tradition can celebrate the traditions of others; Christians who are insecure cannot celebrate the traditions of others because they are too busy defending their own traditions. Insecure Christians mine their rhetoric with the term “heresy” the way terrorists mine roadways with IEDs (improvised explosive devices). Followers of Christ who acknowledge that we live in a grand Kingdom can take delight in learning the ways and traditions of their brothers and sisters; whether they agree with practices and doctrines or not they can understand them (to various degrees) and honor their fellow members of Christ’s Body.


            What can compare with Creation, the Fall, the Incarnation, the Cross, the Resurrection, the Second Coming of our Lord Jesus (in all of its varied understandings), and the glory of death being a portal to Heaven? Can my understanding of baptism, communion, church government, or anything else compare to the Incarnation of Christ? The Life of Christ? The death and resurrection of Jesus Christ? If it cannot, and I don’t think it can, then how can I allow anything outside of Mere Christianity to inhibit my love for, fellowship with, and appreciation for my brothers and sisters who are also Mere Christians?


            We need not ignore our differences, which can be rich indeed and which can often be a source of delightful Divine diversity; and from which we might even learn. But oh how right Lewis is when he writes: The point of view from which this agreement seems less important than their divisions, or than the gulf which separates both from any non-miraculous version of Christianity, is to me unintelligible.


            “Oh Father,” Jesus prays, “that they may be one as we are one. That they may be one in us, that the world may believe that you sent me and love them as you love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment