Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Strange Offense


I have offended people when I’ve inquired about their eternal welfare.

I have offended professing Christians when I’ve suggested that they read and know the Bible.

One offense is as strange to me as the other.

I have offended more professing Christians with concern over them knowing the Bible than I have offended those who make no profession of faith with my concern over their well-being. Truly a strange thing.

Could this be the first generation of Christians that think not knowing the Bible is not a thing to be concerned about? Little wonder we are sliding down the slippery slope of fuzzy translations (to use the word “translation” loosely); what we do not know we cannot critique and discern. If I do not know what fine workmanship is I’ll not identify shoddy workmanship.

People have lived and died to give us the Bible, God reveals Himself to us through the Scriptures…simply put…we ought to know the Bible; knowledge of the Word of God should be nonnegotiable in the life of the Christian.


No comments:

Post a Comment