Thursday, February 2, 2017

Hebrews Chapter Eleven: 8


“By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed by going out to a place which he was to receive for an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was going.” Hebrews 11:8.

“Where are you going Abraham?”

“I don’t know.”

“Excuse me? You don’t know where you are going?”

This morning you walk out of your house and see a moving truck at your neighbor’s. You go over and say, “I didn’t realize you were moving. Where are you going?”

What do you think when he says, “I don’t know”?

When we are on pilgrimage with Jesus we don’t always know where we are going – we know the way as we walk the way, and we see glimpses of that City, but since the life of faith is a life of seeing the unseen, and since we are recovering our ability to see the unseen, we often don’t know where we are going – other than we are going where we are called to go.

While our natural eyes may dim with age, hopefully our eyes of faith grow stronger.

Abraham was called and he obeyed by “going out” and he “went out” and lived “as an alien in the land of promise” (verse 9). There is a sense in which our bodies are a land of promise, for they will be redeemed at the resurrection (see Romans 8:18 – 25; Ephesians 1:13 – 14). There is another sense in which the earth we live on is a land of promise, for we know that the people of God will inherit the earth – the New Jerusalem will descend from the heavens and be manifested on earth. Our pilgrimage has many dimensions, but our destination is one – the face of God, the Throne of God and of the Lamb.

Will I trust God in my “going out” today?

If I insist in knowing where I am going I may stay where I am.

What will I do? How will I respond to God’s call?


What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment