Friday, June 27, 2014

Living as if we will die; Living as if we won’t


Yesterday I learned that my friend Harry Hanger was diagnosed with ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease. As my friend Bill DeWorken and I prayed for Harry I remarked to Bill how fragile life is and observed, “We don’t have today promised to us, we don’t even have the next hour promised to us.”

We do have eternity promised to us in Christ Jesus, and we do have the promise that whatever today holds for us that Jesus will be with us, but beyond those assurances mists cloud our horizons.

On the one hand we will all physically die, the exception being the generation alive when Jesus returns. On the other hand, those who have eternal life living in them through a relationship with Jesus Christ will never taste death – even when they die they won’t die – that is the promise of Jesus.

Those in Christ live with trust and confidence and no longer fear death, in fact they look forward to eternity. And yet, we also live with the knowledge that life is fragile and that our time here is both limited and precious and that we should not waste it. Today does not belong to me, it belongs to my Lord Jesus – how will I live it?


No comments:

Post a Comment