Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Doctrine? Not Important – Apparently



Over the past few months I’ve been thinking about folks I know who are looking for a church to attend. As I’ve listened to them describe their search I’ve heard about music and preaching and friendliness and outreach; but one thing I’ve not heard one person discuss is doctrine – what this or that church actually believes.

As I’ve checked out church websites I’ve also been struck by the absence of clear statements of doctrine. I’ve also noticed that many churches don’t even have their denominational affiliation on their website – making it more difficult to discover what a church actually believes.

If we’re going for the lowest common denominator it’s only a matter of time before we get there – and what will we have then? Nothing.

1 comment:

  1. A mentor told the story of going to college and looking for a church. His dad told him that if he went through two Sundays and the blood of Christ was not preached - leave!

    ReplyDelete