Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Psalm 19



The first six verses of Psalm 19 focus on God’s witness in creation, the following two verses focus on His witness through His Word. God speaks to us without and within, the question for me today is whether I will hear Him. Will my eyes see Him, will my heart hear Him, will my mind seek to understand Him, will my will choose Him and His ways?

Verses 1 – 6 focus on the witness of God our Creator; verses 7 – 14 focus on Yahweh, the God of the Covenant, the God who reveals Himself through His Word and brings us into covenant relationship with Himself and each other. First we have God’s general revelation of Himself, a revelation that Paul writes renders us without excuse (see Romans 1); then we have Yahweh’s special revelation to us through His Word, a revelation that demands a response from us, a response of repentance and submission or a response of rejection and continued rebellion. There is no neutrality between us and God, His love pursues us, His love is not neutral else it could not be love; we either accept His love or we reject it – there is no middle ground.

As I begin this day will I see Him in the heavens and earth? Will I behold His handiwork in creation? Will the majesty of the mountains and oceans humble me? Will the patterns of flora and fauna give me pause to consider Him? Will the birds of the air and the creatures of land and sea cause me to consider the One in whose mind they were first conceived?

Will I turn to His Word this morning, a Word given to men and women ages ago, a Word which has been the demarcation line in humanity since we first walked the earth; our answer to the question, “Has God said?” determines our lives today and tomorrow and forever.

God our Creator speaks all around us and within us; Yahweh the God of the Covenant speaks specifically through His written Word – He calls to us, will we respond in obedience to Him? What will the Word and revelation of God look like in my life today?

Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Yahweh, my strength and my Redeemer, Psalm 19:14.

No comments:

Post a Comment