Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My Last Two Church Visits



I think I would rather have food poisoning than hear a sermon that has nothing to do with the Biblical text. At least with food poisoning I can expect to recover within a reasonable amount of time, but when I hear a sermon that does not submit to the text it ruins my day, makes me grumpy, makes me want to leave the church as soon as possible, and carries over into the next few days.

I’ve visited two churches within the past few weeks and neither sermon had much of anything to do with the text, neither had a structure, and neither had a point to it. What have we come to?

Both churches had a lot of people, nice people; and I’m sure the preachers are nice guys – but how can this be – how can churches that profess a high view of Scripture be satisfied with not submitting to the text? It happens all the time I know, but it doesn’t make it any easier to experience. And of course no one seems to notice because this is the way we read, the way we think, the way we make decisions – everything today is done in fragments and thoughts need not be connected or coherent. So sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment