Friday, February 1, 2013

Bill's Prayer Journal



Last week I had coffee with a brother who I hadn't seen since 1996. During our time together Bill shared about his experience in praying for others. As I listened to his testimony I thought, "It would be great if he'd write about this." What follows is Bill's first description of his prayer journey. I hope this is an encouragement to you and I hope that Bill will share more of how God is using intercessory prayer to encourage him and others - thank you Bill for sharing your testimony!



PRAYER JOURNAL INSPIRED BY GOD


In 2004, God laid it on my heart to start a prayer journal.  At first, it was prayer requests for family members, friends, and people from church and work.  Every once in a while I would get the courage to ask someone I was talking to on the phone if there was someone or a need I could put in my prayer journal so I could be praying for them.  But one day God clearly showed me that He wanted me to go beyond my comfort zone and also to reach out to strangers wherever He placed them in my path.

One day in Shoney’s I noticed a couple in the back of the restaurant who looked like they were really struggling.  I finished my lunch and paid and walked out to my car.  But then God said to me, “What are you doing?  That couple inside needs to know that someone cares and wants to lift their needs up in prayer.”  So I got a notepad, went back inside, and told them that God wanted me to let them know that He loved them and wanted me to pray for them.  The joy that filled their hearts that someone cared enough to share God’s love and to pray for them was overwhelmingly shining on their faces.  We prayed together before I left and I told them that I would continue to lift them up in prayer.  The joy in my heart from this experience cannot be expressed in words. 

Thus began a prayer journey for me that has been going on for over nine years and a prayer journal that now has nearly two thousand entries.  Over the next several weeks, I will share with you the amazing journey I have experienced through my prayer journal which is inspired by God.

My purpose for doing this blog entry is to give God all the praise and glory for answered prayers while, at the same time, to encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and reach out to those who need someone to say, “God loves YOU and He wants me to pray for you.”

God bless you!

~Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment