Monday, April 5, 2010

“Mary” Part II

And what of the One who spoke the name “Mary” on Easter morning? What of His anticipation?

He watches her and her sisters approach the Tomb. He witnesses their dismay. Off runs Mary to tell the men. Here runs John ahead of Peter. Peter arrives and immediately enters the Tomb, John entering behind him. Mary trails behind the two men, exhausted emotionally and physically. The men leave. There is no record that they comforted Mary. The men leave Mary at the Tomb.

Mary looks into the Tomb again and sees two angels. Jesus observes the interchange:

Woman, why are you weeping?

Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him.

What of Jesus’ anticipation as He beholds this broken-hearted woman seeking Him, seeking His body?

Ah yes, Mary. It was for you I died. It was for you I hung on the Cross. It was for you I, the Lamb, bore the wrath of God. It was for you I laid in the very Tomb you now peer into. It was for the joy of speaking your name that I endured the Cross and despised its shame.

You do not yet recognize me Mary. Oh how I have waited for this moment. This moment when I can speak your name, and by speaking your name speak the name of countless brothers and sisters across time and space, brothers and sisters to whom I will reveal the name of My Father. Oh Mary, I died and am risen that I might speak your name.

The first recorded word of the resurrected Christ was a name – Mary. Oh the delight of Jesus when He spoke her name to her – and His delight when He speaks your name to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment