Friday, September 1, 2017

Reflections on Romans 4:1 – 5:11: (2)


“But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness, just as David…” (Romans 4:5 – 6a).

The words, “just as David,” give great comfort to me, for “just as David” I have sinned and need forgiveness, just as David I cannot earn forgiveness, just as David only by confessing my sin and trusting and receiving the grace and mercy of God can I receive forgiveness, and just as David I can know the wonder of: “Blessed are those who lawless deeds have been forgiven, and whose sins have been covered. Blessed is the man whose sin Yahweh will not take into account,” (Romans 4:7-8, quoted from Psalm 32).

This reminds me of the words of the angel to the woman at the empty tomb of Jesus, “But go, tell His disciples and Peter, He is going ahead of you to Galilee; there you will see him just as he told you (Mark 16:7).” Those words, “and Peter,” give me great comfort, for in them was a special message to the apostle who had denied Jesus three times on the night of Jesus’ betrayal – the special message was, “Peter, I love you, I know you have repented and have great remorse, I have not only forgiven you, I look forward to seeing you in Galilee.”

Both David and Peter sinned grievously, they both repented of their sins, trusted in God’s mercy and grace, and God forgave them. This gives me, and I hope you, great comfort. It is not for nothing that Paul quotes what David wrote, “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds have been forgiven”! This is not flowery language, this is the language of amazement, the language of something being too good to be true and yet it is true. This is the language of the forgiveness of God and peace with God that the Gospel of Jesus Christ brings us.

When we think of Peter’s great sin we think of his denial of Jesus Christ. How many times have I denied Jesus? If not with words, then with my actions. How many times have I been silent when I should have spoken? How many times have I done things that have discredited Jesus – which have said in effect, “I don’t know Jesus”? How many drops of water are there in the ocean? I cannot count the drops of water, I cannot count the times I’ve denied Jesus. “Tell his disciples, and Peter,” – this gives me great hope and comfort – Peter is not only forgiven, but Jesus wants to see Peter, He wants to be with Peter.

No matter what you have done, the heart of Jesus beats with love for you. No matter what you have done the Good Shepherd seeks you. No matter what you have done, when you come to Jesus in confession of sin and repentance, turning from your old way of life and following Him as your Lord and Savior, He will forgive your sins, give you new life (His very own life!), and bring you into a relationship with Himself and His Father through the Holy Spirit. You were created by God for deep relationship with Him, and God desires to transform you into His very own image, so that you will come to look like His Son Jesus Christ – and the beauty of Jesus Christ will become your beauty, His glory your glory, His peace your peace, His joy your joy.

And if you already know Jesus but sin, if you already know Him and are looking back over your life in remorse, be assured that, “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds have been forgiven…” As Paul writes in Romans 4:5, “But to the one who does not work [tries to obtain righteousness by his or her own deeds], but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness…” As the Apostle John writes to Christians (1 John 1:9), “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteousness to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

While David no doubt sinned many times, when we think of David’s sins we normally think of his murder of Uriah and his adultery with Bathsheba. There was one other terrible sin, which he committed later in life, that resulted in the deaths of many of his people; you can read about this in 1 Samuel Chapter 24 and 1 Chronicles Chapter 21. Even though David was forgiven of his murder and adultery, he lived with the consequences of these sins for the rest of his life – forgiveness does not free us from consequences, but consequences are not with us to condemn us when God has forgiven us, they are with us because they are consequences. Perhaps they can help keep us mentally and spiritually sober, perhaps humble us, perhaps remind us of the great forgiveness of God, perhaps to give us compassion for others who have sinned. David could not escape the consequences of his murder and adultery, but David could write, “How blessed are those whose lawless deeds have been forgiven”!

If you have not read Psalm 32 recently perhaps you would like to read it and go on David’s journey of forgiveness. We can’t earn God’s forgiveness, we can’t measure up to His righteousness – but we can find forgiveness in Jesus Christ and the foot of the Cross and then we can say with David, “I can’t believe it, I just can’t believe it, but I do believe it, I do believe it; it is too good to be true but it IS TRUE – God loves me and God has forgiven me! I am blessed in Jesus Christ!”


No comments:

Post a Comment