Monday, September 6, 2010

Meditation On A Puritan Prayer – August 24, 2010 Part V

May I speak each word as if my last word, and walk each step as my final one. If my life should end today, let this be my best day.

I consider these words, in context, some of the most beautiful words I have ever read, and more importantly some of the most meaningful words I have ever prayed.

I write, “in context”, because the context is life lived in our Lord Jesus Christ and in the mirror of eternity; without which these words are mere sentimentality – a dangerous thing indeed.

I am too flip with words and deeds, too little reflective, too little intentional. I am disposed to view interactions with others as centered on me: What do I want? What will meet my needs? What are my cares and concerns? And yet, suppose our kind heavenly Father has placed cares and concerns and needs in my life so that I might be a conduit of His grace in the lives of others?

If I don’t value words and deeds, if I think I have an unending supply of days and hours at my disposal and therefore an unending supply of words and deeds, then I’ll spend my words and deeds freely and promiscuously, without regard for their quality or effect. I will perhaps justify a harsh word, or even a seemingly benign interchange with another person, as just a grain of sand on the vast seashore of my words and deeds, my minutes, hours and my days.

But if I live each day in the knowledge that it may be my last day, if I live as if each word may be my last word and each deed my last deed; then how shall I live? Will the quality of my words and deeds be improved? Will I be more conscious of Jesus Christ being my Lord, and therefore the Lord of my words and deeds?

Suppose our last words and our final deeds are the first things we present to our Lord when we leave this life?

I want this to be my best day for His glory. I want it to be my best day for my wife, friends, family, and coworkers. I want it to be my best day so that I may feel the pleasure of the God who made me in HIs image and who redeemed and reconciled me back to Himself after I had marred and rejected His image.

Our God is worthy that we should begin our days with the words:

May I speak each word as if my last word, and walk each step as my final one. If my life should end today, let this be my best day.

No comments:

Post a Comment