Friday, August 6, 2010

The Country of Everlasting Delights

In my devotions recently I prayed these lines from a Puritan prayer:

Keep me walking steadfastly towards the country of everlasting delights, that paradise-land which is my true inheritance….As I pursue my heavenly journey by thy grace let me be known as a man with no aim but that of a burning desire for thee, and the good and salvation of my fellow man.

This puts me in mind of Hebrews Chapter 11 and also Hebrews 13:14, “For here we do not have a lasting city, but we are seeking the city which is to come.”

I want to have no aim but that of a burning desire for Jesus and the good and salvation of my fellow man – but how far short of that aim I fall.

Yet, if this life is but a foyer of our entrance to heaven, then should not this be our aim and desire? And yet, how intentional am I concerning the salvation and good of my fellow man? How intentional are you? Is Christ my burning desire – or are religious things, good religious things, my burning desire? Patriotic things? Economic things? Social things?

Oh that we might desire Jesus Christ with all that we have and all that we are – and that we might share His wonderful grace and love with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment