Sunday, May 30, 2010

“I’m Not Religious, I’m Spiritual”

For those of us who often hear the above statement there’s a pretty good piece on First Things:

http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/2010/05/spirituality-without-spirits

I think this applies as much to professing Christians as to society at-large, that is, I often hear it from professing Christians and they typically don’t know what they believe – it’s like living in the ???????-???? Zip Code. We’re not doing anyone a favor by trying to attract them with, “I’m not religious, I’m spiritual,” nor are we doing them a favor by allowing such a statement to pass without a winsome question or two.

There have been times when I’ve thought about what we’re missing in the trend toward non-denominational churches, with even denominational churches downplaying or hiding their denominational affiliations, at the expense of articulating Biblical teaching and yes…here’s that “D” word, doctrine. (Is a denominational church that hides its identity analogous to a warship not flying its nation’s flag?)

What I mean is that no one seems to know what they believe – everyone’s spiritual now and we don’t need doctrine. Guess I’d better stop on this one – anyway – the above is a pretty good article.

No comments:

Post a Comment